Tuesday, May 22, 2012

More theatre stuff

As a part of my education, I had to carry out two practical trainings. At the first practical training (in 2009) I was working in fabric store (for about a month) and at dressmaker's shop (also about a month). Second practical training was kinda part of the advanced special studies. During this training we (costumier students) could familiarize ourselves better with what it's really like to work in theatre. At this second training (in 2010) I was working in Hasaniemi theatre as a seamstress in two different plays: "Uncle Fedya, His Dog, and His Cat" by Eduard Uspensky and "The Howling Miller" by Arto Paasilinna.

For "Howling Miller" I made few hats (nurse's cap and shop owner's hat) and a shirt from scratch, but mostly I did just some modifications to costumes and some accessories since most of the costumes were pulled out from theatre's costume storage. For "Uncle Fedya" I made most of the costumes from scratch and made alterations to ready-made garments.

Villagers and rural police chief
Howling Miller in mental hospital
Dog, Cat and Fedya getting ready for treasure hunt
Jackdaw, squirrel, bunny and "indian" cow
Fedya's mother
Fedya's mother and father (that bright pink dress was hiding under mom's black coat dress)

And apparently I didn't fail too much because at the end of the practical training I was asked to be a costume designer for next year's play "Rollo and the Woods Sprite" (which I did as my thesis).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment